Every child brings a reader home from school every day. We would like to remind family members of the importance of reading at home and offer the following tips to help your child:
- Invite your child to read with you every day.
- Read many stories with rhyming words and lines that repeat. Ask your child to join in on these parts.
- Point, word by word, as they read along with you.
- Stop and ask about the pictures and what is happening in the story.
- Read from a variety of children's books: include fairy tales, song books, poems and information booklets.
The above are simple techniques to create strong readers and help you to support our home reading program.